We require every interested student to visit and observe two complete practices, prior to enrollment. This allows interested students to have first-hand view of kendo, show their commitment to begin kendo, and allow the prospective student to ask any questions first-hand.
Open enrollment for new students takes place every six months during the first three classes of April and October.
Prospective students will need to complete the registration form, sign a release of liability, pay dues, wear comfortable clothing, and have a shinai. Shinai are available for purchase at the Monday practice. Prices vary, but generally cost between $20 and $30. Shinai may also be purchased online; see the Bogu Resources section of the Resources page.
Please note, new members must be at least 13 years old. We reserve the right to refuse acceptance of members.
For more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For dojos in Northern California, go to the Northern California Kendo Federation home page at www.nckf.org and find a dojo near you. For information on dojos outside of Northern California visit the All US Kendo Federation home page at www.auskf.info and find closest dojo in your area.
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
- Are there any age restrictions? New members must be at least 13 years old.
- Do I need any special clothing or gear for first practices? For your first practices no special clothing or gear is required. We recommend you wear comfortable workout clothes like a t-shirt and shorts. Also, please remove jewelry and accessories as they should not be worn during practice.
- What style of kendo do you practice? We practice according to the rules and regulations of the All Japan Kendo Federation (AJKF) and the Federation of International Kendo (FIK).
- Are experienced kenshi allowed to visit and practice? Our doors are always open for experienced kenshi to come visit and practice. Just drop us a line introducing yourself and the dates you plan to visit at email@example.com so we know to expect you.
- Why are beginners only allowed to start in April and October? We have a structured 6-month curriculum to properly introduce new kenshi to kendo and to give them solid fundamentals for their kendo journey. To that end, introducing beginners halfway into this curriculum is not productive for those people or the existing students.